Many older LGBT people in Ireland grew up in a time when being open about their sexuality was almost impossible, and it remains difficult for many. As a result, older members of the LGBT community are more at risk of becoming lonely and isolated in their old age. The need to explore positive active aging and intergenerational opportunities for this community is immediate.
In preparation for 2012’s “European Year of Active Aging”, LGBT Diversity invites you to join us in exploring ways to ensure that older LGBT people have the best possible opportunities for living a positive and active life.
To that end, LGBT Diversity’s third regional seminar for the south east will be held on Wednesday, 9t h November 2011, in Langton’s Hotel in Kilkenny, and aims to:
- Raise awareness of the needs of Ireland’s older LGBT population.
- Facilitate a discussion of what can be done to ensure that older LGBT people have the best possible opportunities for living a positive and active life.
- Support networking and information sharing.
This Seminar is the first in a series of events organised by LGBT Diversity to mark the European Year of Active Aging and highlight issues facing the older LGBT community.
We’ll provide tea, coffee, and lunch, and registration is free of charge. Please complete the attached registration form and return to me by email or post. If neither is available to you, please call me at 086 877 5818 and I’ll book your place—you can complete the registration form on the day.
Looking forward to hearing from you. It’s going to be a great day.
Development Worker – South East
9.30 am Registration opens
Tea & Coffee
10.00 – 10.15 Welcome and introduction to the Day
Bernadette Smyth, Development Worker, LGBT Diversity
10.15 – 10.45 The LGBT experience of aging in Ireland
- Eddie Parsons, LGBT activist
- Liz Edwards, member of TENI
10.45 – 11.20 What we know of the needs & experiences of older Irish people
- Liz Kavanagh, Community Development Worker, County Wicklow Partnership
- Bernadette Smyth, Development Worker, LGBT Diversity
11.20 – 12.10 Exploring Community Supports
- Marie Louise Byrne, Get Vocal Coordinator / Co. Wexford Age Equality Network
- Denise Croke, Project Coordinator, Older Voices Kildare
- James O’Connor, Regional Development Manager, Open Heart House
12.10 – 12.45 LUNCH
12.45– 1.45 Workshops: What can be done to improve the lives of older LGBT people? How can LGBT individuals get involved in the 2012 European Year of Active Aging?
Facilitated group discussions and feed-back
1:45 – 2:00 Closing Remarks and Next Steps